Tuesday 21 July 2015


Coat Rack
nfs

This is my piece for the "Elemental Change"exhibit in the Terrace Art Gallery in August 2015.


    I made this coat rack from a decaying bench that sat in our garden for the near 20-year span that my daughters and I lived in our cozy blue house. In that time it endured many storms and it faded in the warm light of thousands of sunrises. Lichen and moss flourished in its nooks and crannies. I see its weathering as a metaphor for life changes: growing up, aging, and the evolving circumstances of our lives.  For me it’s a souvenir of that chapter in my life. The various hooks, tiles, and vent covers remind me of certain corners of the house and recall memories of what took place in them. I think it’s fitting that when my kids come to visit me in my new home, it will hold the jackets and umbrellas that keep them warm, dry and protected.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment